[Humanist] 27.100 on the cfp for LLC, computational models of narrative

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 6 22:17:22 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 22:09:23 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>
        Subject: Re:  27.96 cfp for LLC: computational models of narrative

I read the below announcement with a mixture of amusement and annoyance. The
study of narrative is a major concern of the discipline of Literary Studies
(if it is a discipline). I am confident in predicting that few, if any,
literary scholars will read any essay in this promised issue. But then, as
Patrick Juola pointed out some time ago, practically nobody in the
humanities at large reads anything in LLC.The  literary scholars are partly
at fault here. But what about the astonishing arrogance of a statement like
"without computational modeling, the science of a complex human phenomenon
such as narrative will never be successful"? If LLC aims at being "The
Journal of Digital Scholarship in the Humanities" will it help the
conversation between "digital humanists" (a term I abhor) and plain old
humanists if a special issue on so fundamental topic as narrative takes such
a narrow and aggressively possessive approach towards its topic?

I am far from hostile to quantitative or computational approaches to the
study of literature or other disciplines in the humanities. And I could
understand a special issue of LLC that concerned itself with in a more
modest note with the question how far computational approaches can take us
towards a better understanding of narrative.

But this is not the way to go for LLC, at least not if it wants to reach out
to a wider audience.