[Humanist] 27.240 events: mss studies at Kalamazoo

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jul 28 00:54:09 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 15:48:23 +0000
        From: "Brookes, Stewart" <stewart.brookes at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Call for Papers: Kalamazoo 2014

Call for Papers

49th International Congress on Medieval Studies

Western Michigan University

8th-11th May 2014, Kalamazoo, MI

Dear all,

The DigiPal team (digipal.eu http://digipal.eu/ ) are delighted to invite submissions for the following sessions:

   "Digital Methods: Anglo-Saxon Manuscript Studies"

   "Digital Methods: Reading between the Lines of Medieval Manuscripts"

To submit an abstract: read the session descriptions below, decide which
session suits you best, and then send an abstract of a couple of hundred words
or so (we won't count them, but try not  to overdo it) to us by 15th September 2013:
digipal at kcl.ac.uk<mailto:digipal at kcl.ac.uk>

And if you fill in a Participant Information Form, and send that too, we'd be very grateful.
You can find the PIF here:
http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress/submissions/index.html#PIF

Oh, and if for some curious reason we *don't* accept your abstract, never fear: any
proposals we don't include will be sent to the Congress committee for consideration
for general sessions.

Looking forward to reading your abstract, Stewart

---------------------------------------
SESSION DESCRIPTIONS

"Digital Methods: Anglo-Saxon Manuscript Studies"

The aim of the papers in this session is to consider what twenty-first
century technology might offer us in the study of the handwriting of
the scribes who were producing charters, homilies, farming memoranda
and other aspects of the written culture of Anglo-Saxon England. Utilising
computer-based resources for the study of medieval handwriting, the papers
will investigate the development of letter forms; the influence of scriptoria
and the politics of writing style; the significance of scribal choices such
as vernacular script in preference to, or alongside, Caroline letter forms; and
whether text type can be said to determine the style of writing.

"Digital Methods: Reading between the Lines of Medieval Manuscripts"

Glosses and marginalia have been understudied, with nineteenth century
editions often being relied upon in the absence of more
recent work. In this session, the papers will ask whether the development
of methodologies based in digital technologies affords us the opportunity to
produce new work and new discoveries in this area. Areas explored will include
the study and detection of scratched glosses; the relationship
between so-called main text and writings in the margins; the hierarchy
of scripts for glossing and annotation; and producing new edited texts.
--
Dr Stewart J Brookes
Research Associate