[Humanist] 27.228 cost of books (was Memory Machines)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 23 05:35:38 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 08:20:29 +0200
        From: Patrick Sahle <sahle at uni-koeln.de>
        Subject: Re:  27.227 memory machines

James,

> You must know that prices for academic books are high because of very
> limited print runs and high quality (library quality) paper and binding.

With our IDE series we have very limited print runs and very high
quality (very nice thick paper, hard cover thread stitching binding) as
well. For a 180 pages book as the one in question, we would come up with
a price around 35€ to 39€ - and still have a reasonable profit marge
(for some not for profit activities). I expect others could confirm such
pricing.

> I'm annoyed with the prices too, but they're selling primarily to
> libraries.

And that's a justification for the price? I must be missing the point
here ...

One point for me is: I'd really like to have that book and would buy it,
at - let's say - 45$ ...

Best, Patrick

Book(s) out: Patrick Sahle, Digitale Editionsformen -
http://www.i-d-e.de/schriften/s7-9-digitale-editionsformen
A) Cologne Center for eHumanities (CCeH)  http://www.cceh.uni-koeln.de/
(Secretary)
B) DARIAH-DE (Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and
Humanities)  http://de.dariah.eu/  (Researcher)
C) Humanities Computer Science, University of Cologne
 http://www.hki.uni-koeln.de/  (Researcher)
D) Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik  http://www.i-d-e.de  (Member)