[Humanist] 27.190 innovative & interactive applications for image databases?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jul 7 22:05:46 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 14:05:07 +0200
        From: Jan Christoph Meister <jan-c-meister at uni-hamburg.de>
        Subject: eFoto Hamburg: Request for information on innovative & interactive applications for image data bases

eFoto is a new joint project of Hamburg University and the Department of
Culture of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg. The Department is
currently building a substantial data base of digitalised images from
various archives (museums, city building department, public history
projects, libraries etc.) which our eFoto project aims to make
accessible to citizens and researchers via the web. Our conceptual goal
is to create the most participatory, collaborative and explorative
"living culture" experience possible that will motivate users as well as
providers of image data to become true stake holders and shapers of
culture as a process, rather than just users of cultural content. We
expect to have significant funds available for commissioning the
development of applications.

At current we are looking for anything from established, tried and
tested best practice examples to the whackiest, most weird and wonderful
ideas and applications, including of course social tagging, augmented
reality & game based approaches, semantic network driven linking from
image DBs to sound/video/text oriented DBs, recommender system apps,
etc.. Pointers to relevant project sites and collections as well as
classification and meta data schemes would also be greatly appreciated -
and so would be any "wild dream app" that you can think of!

In case you would prefer to respond off-list, please mail Mareike at

mareike at hoeckendorff.com

Many thanks!

Chris

*** Attachments: