[Humanist] 27.185 Phototrails

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 4 22:12:38 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:41:50 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Visualizing 2.3 million Instagram photos from 13 global ciies - Phototrails project from softwarestudies.com

New project from Software Studies Initiative:
Phototrails (Phototrails.net)

How do we explore social media's visual data which contains billions of
photographs shared by hundreds of millions of contributors?

What types of insights can we gain from analyzing this massive visual
universe?

Phototrails is a research project that uses media visualization
techniques for exploring visual patterns, dynamics and structures in
user-generated photos.

Phototrails is a collaboration between Nadav Hochman (PhD student,
History of Art and Architecture University of Pittsburgh),Lev Manovich
(Professor, The Graduate Center, CUNY, and Director of Software Studies
Initiative at Calit2), and Jay Chow (graduate of the Interdisciplinary
Computing and the Arts undergraduate program at UCSD).

The team's findings are published in the July issue of First Monday
(http://www.firstmonday.org), an open-access peer-reviewed journal. This
is the first academic study to investigate Instagram's big visual data.
The article analyzes and compares more than 2.3 million publicly shared
Instagram photos from 13 cities such as New York, San Francisco, London
and Tokyo. It also presents a detailed analysis of Instagram's interface.

/Copyright © 2013 Software Studies Initiative, Calit2, All rights
reserved./

Our mailing address is:
Software Studies Initiative, Calit2
UCSD