[Humanist] 26.737 pubs: report from Ithaka S+R

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 08:33:35 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:48:46 -0500
        From: Heidi McGregor <Heidi.McGregor at ithaka.org>
        Subject: Sustaining our Digital Future: Latest Report from Ithaka S+R

ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org<http://www.ithaka.org/>) is a not-for-profit organization that helps the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways. We provide innovative services that benefit higher education, including Ithaka S+R, JSTOR, and Portico.

"Sustaining Our Digital Future: Institutional Strategies for Digital Content" <http://lists.jstor.org/t/429335/11645766/283/5/> is a new report by Ithaka S+R aimed at helping digital projects thrive.

With funding from the JISC-led Strategic Content Alliance (SCA), the Canadian Heritage Information Network, and the National Endowment for the Humanities, Ithaka S+R is conducting a multi-year research program to shed light on common challenges associated with sustaining digital projects beyond implementation and provide guidance and tools to help administrators, project leaders, librarians, and funders ensure that projects continue to grow.

We invite you to read this initial report funded by SCA, which provides a close look at three institutions in the United Kingdom. Our research confirms how fragmented the digital landscape is at universities and other organizations, how little the topic of post-build sustainability comes up at the higher levels of administration, and, as a result, just how much risk is present and felt in the current system.

"It's a wakeup call for us all," said Andrew Green, chief executive and librarian at the National Library of Wales. "It's essential reading for anyone in the business of access to digital content."

The report, complete with effective recommendations, is now available, as is a Sustainability Health Check Tool for Digital Content Projects, which helps people take the pulse of projects and ascertain what the projects could use to be even more successful.

We hope you find this work useful, and we welcome your questions and insights. Please contact us at info at sr.ithaka.org<mailto:info at sr.ithaka.org>.

----

Contact Us

151 East 61st Street New York, NY 10065 www.sr.ithaka.org<http://lists.jstor.org/t/429335/11645766/57/6/> info at ithaka.org<mailto:info at ithaka.org>