[Humanist] 26.729 events: narrative; sound; creative engagement

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 09:04:13 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Bernhard Fisseni <bernhard.fisseni at uni-due.de>            (81)
        Subject: CfP(2): Computational Models of Narrative 2013, Hamburg
                (updated)

  [2]   From:    Tanya Clement <tclement at ischool.utexas.edu>               (39)
        Subject: CFP: High Performance Sound Technologies for Access and
                Scholarship

  [3]   From:    Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>                          (103)
        Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS AND PERFORMANCES: DRHA 2013

        Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:03:17 +0100
        From: Bernhard Fisseni <bernhard.fisseni at uni-due.de>
        Subject: CfP(2): Computational Models of Narrative 2013, Hamburg (updated)

SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

   2013 Workshop on Computational Models of Narrative (CMN 2013)
                     4-6 August 2013
              Universität Hamburg, Germany
           http://narrative.csail.mit.edu/ws13/

(a satellite workshop of CogSci 2013: The 35th meeting of the Cognitive
Science Society Berlin, Germany, 31 July - 3 August 2013)

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

   Richard Gerrig, Stony Brook University, U.S.A.
   Inderjeet Mani, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Paper Submission: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cmn2013

Important Dates:

     24 February 2013. Submission deadline.
     31 March 2013. Notification.
     30 April 2013. Final versions due.
     31 July - 3 August 2013. CogSci 2013 in Berlin.
     4-6 August 2013. Workshop in Hamburg.

Workshop Aims

Narratives are ubiquitous in human experience. We use them to
communicate, convince, explain, and entertain. As far as we know, every
society in the world has narratives, which suggests they are rooted in
our psychology and serve an important cognitive function. It is becoming
increasingly clear that, to truly understand and explain human
intelligence, beliefs, and behaviors, we will have to understand why and
to what extent narrative is universal and explain (or explain away) the
function it serves. The aim of this workshop series is to address key
questions that advance our understanding of narrative and our ability to
model it computationally.

Special Focus: Cognitive Science

This workshop will be an appropriate venue for papers addressing
fundamental topics and questions regarding narrative. The workshop will
be held as a satellite event of the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Cognitive
Science Society (to be held in Berlin 31st July - 3rd August), and so
will have a special focus on the cognitive science of narrative. Papers
should be relevant to issues fundamental to the computational modeling
and scientific understanding of narrative; we especially welcome papers
relevant to the cognitive, linguistic, or philosophical aspects of
narrative. Cognitive psychological or neuroscientific experimental work
which may provide insights critical to computational modeling is
appropriate for this workshop, and is encouraged. Discussing
technological applications or motivations is not prohibited, but is not
required. We accept both finished research and more tentative
exploratory work.

We invite and encourage submissions either as full papers or position
papers, through the workshop's EasyChair website

    http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cmn2013

We also invite you to submit an abstract soon so that we can gauge the
number of submissions we can expect. (Submitting an abstract is possible
without submitting the full paper at the same time.)

Accepted papers will be published in an electronic proceedings volume in
the series OASIcs (Open Access Series in Informatics, Schloss Dagstuhl).
Full papers should contain original research and have to fit within 16
pages in the OASIcs style (plus two pages of references); position
papers can report on work-in-progress, research plans or projects and
have to fit within four pages in the OASIcs style (plus one page of
references).

OASIcs webpage: http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/publications/oasics
OASICs style: http://drops.dagstuhl.de/styles/oasics/oasics-authors.tgz

**The CMN workshop series is organizing a special issue on "Computational
Models of Narrative", which will appear in the 2014 volume of the Journal
of Literary and Linguistic Computing (LLC, http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/).
The deadline for final papers will be in late 2013. Authors of top workshop
papers will be encouraged to expand their work and submit to the special
issue.**

Prize for Best Student Paper on Cognitive Science

The best student paper in cognitive science submitted to CMN 2013 will
win an award funded by the Cognitive Science Society. The award
consists of a cash prize of 250 USD and one year of free membership in
the Cognitive Science Society. The selection will be made by the CMN
2013 programme committee.

Programme Committee: Rossana Damiano, Kerstin Dautenhahn, David K.
Elson, Mark Finlayson (co-chair), Pablo Gervas, Andrew S. Gordon,
Valerie G. Hardcastle, Patrik Haslum, Benedikt Loewe (co-chair), Jan
Christoph Meister, Peggy J. Miller, Erik T. Mueller, Livia Polanyi,
Marie-Laure Ryan, Timothy Tangherlini, Mariet Theune, Emmett Tomai,
Atif Waraich, Patrick Henry Winston, R. Michael Young.

Organizers: Mark A. Finlayson (Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
U.S.A.), Bernhard Fisseni (Universitaet Hamburg & Universitaet
Duisburg-Essen, Germany), Benedikt Loewe (Universitaet Hamburg, Germany
& Universiteit van Amsterdam, The Netherlands), Jan Christoph Meister
(Universitaet Hamburg, Germany).