[Humanist] 26.720 memory projects?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jan 27 12:04:44 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:08:33 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: critical, self-reflective memory projects?

I would very much appreciate recommendations of online memory projects
in which close attention has been paid to the affordances provided for
individual users to do memory work, including the formation and moulding
of postmemories (Hirsch) and the making of personal narratives. I would
be particularly grateful for pointers to projects in which design and
critique have been published and reflected on. Who has gone beyond
putting stuff online and indexing it? Where and how have they gone
there?

In Cahal McLaughlin's call for a PhD student to work on the Prison
Memory Archive (http://prisonsmemoryarchive.com/, Humanist 26.712), he
speaks of

> the methodological challenge of designing the most appropriate
> interactive software so that users will become co-creators of
> narratives and meanings, rather than simply be exposed to a linear
> documentary. By involving users as editors and by offering pathways
> that integrate varied and contrasting memories, the software
> encourages a witnessing of the ‘other’ experiences, which is crucial
> in addressing the legacy of a conflicted past and will be of use in
> other post conflict societies.

This looks to me like the beginning of something very important. I want
to find more of the same, especially if it is accompanied by commentary.

Many thanks.

London; Professor, School of Humanities and Communication Arts,
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/