[Humanist] 26.717 events: narrative; tools for text

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jan 26 11:08:28 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>     (66)
        Subject: CFP: 18-19 April 2013 Workshop "Easy Tools for Difficult
                Texts?"

  [2]   From:    Bernhard Fisseni <bernhard.fisseni at uni-due.de>            (82)
        Subject: CfP(2): Computational Models of Narrative 2013, Hamburg

        Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 12:12:28 +0100
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>
        Subject: CFP: 18-19 April 2013 Workshop "Easy Tools for Difficult Texts?"

Call for papers, ISCH COST Action IS1005 Medieval Europe - Medieval
Cultures and Technological Resources, Working Group 2, Manuscripts and
textual tradition, to be hosted at Huygens ING, Den Haag, Netherlands, on
18-19 April 2013.

"Easy Tools for Difficult Texts?"

Medieval manuscripts and codices are notoriously difficult to convince to
become well behaved inhabitants of the digital scholarly ecosystem.
Meanwhile over the last decades many digital local computerized services,
web based tools, and stand alone applications have been developed to
create, publish, and analyze digital representations of manuscript and
printed text. Although such tools have been trying to accommodate for
medieval manuscripts –and sometimes were even solely developed for that
purpose– a true convenient and intuitive means of re-representing medieval
text in the digital medium seems elusive. The nature of medieval texts
–ambiguous, uncertain, instable, often of unknown origin and descent, of
puzzling function and context, damaged, fragmented, still unconventional in
their multiplicity of form, format, language, orthography, typography, and
script– poses an ultimate challenge to creators and users of digital tools
wishing to produce useful and reliable digital counterparts to these
medieval sources of knowledge and testimonies of intellectual creativity.

The Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands and the COST
Action IS1005 "Medieval Europe" are organizing a two-day workshop that
seeks to gather a number of experts in methodologies and tool creation
around the complex issue of transferring medieval manuscripts to a digital
medium. The workshop, to be held at the Huygens Institute in The Hague on
18 and 19 April 2013, will create an overview of the state of the art of
tool development, and of the difficulties and extreme requirements medieval
manuscript poses to digital methods and techniques. The first day will
consist of introductions and demonstrations, as well as thorough
methodological reflection on a number of tools highly visible in the field
of digital textual scholarship. The second day will consist of theoretical
and methodological focused papers and the creation of an inventory of
common difficulties and unsupported features essential to digital philology
of medieval manuscripts.

We invite all interested experts to submit an abstract for a proposed paper
of no more than 500 words. We urge authors of proposals to include relevant
literature references (not counted as word count), to assist the audience
in its orientation in this more technical part of the field. Send your
abstract to congres at huygens.knaw.nl <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'congres at huygens.knaw.nl');>, before 15 February 2013. Please mention “COST
Workshop” in the subject field.

Presenters will be reimbursed (according to the rules of the COST
organisation) for their travel and accommodation expenses. Since the budget
is restricted, however, we can only accommodate a limited number of people.
If you are under the happy circumstance that you would not have to rely on
funding by COST, please let us know, so that we can fit in more presenters.

The proceedings of the workshop will be published. For further information,
you can write to congres at huygens.knaw.nl <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
'congres at huygens.knaw.nl');>. Again, please mention “COST Workshop” in the
subject field.

Workshop Organizers:
Mariken Teeuwen (Huygens ING)
Joris van Zundert (Huygens ING)
Caroline Macé (Catholic University Leuven)

--
Drs. Joris J. van Zundert
*Researcher & Developer Digital and Computational Humanities

-------
*Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.
Mr. Gibbs: We figured they were more actual guidelines.
*