[Humanist] 26.715 multi-lingual sites

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jan 26 10:46:44 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (53)
        Subject: Re:  26.711 multi-lingual sites?

  [2]   From:    Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>                     (43)

  [3]   From:    Frédéric_Clavert <frederic at clavert.net>                 (56)

  [4]   From:    Anna Jordanous <anna.jordanous at kcl.ac.uk>                 (42)
        Subject: Re: Multi-lingual DH websites

  [5]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (47)

  [6]   From:    Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>                           (14)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.711 multi-lingual sites?

  [7]   From:    Ken Price <kprice2 at unl.edu>                               (52)

  [8]   From:    Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>                  (14)

        Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:30:37 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

It is a standard requirement for DH resources developed in Wales to be available in both Welsh and English. Examples are:

http://www.casgliadywerincymru.co.uk/Home

http://eira.llgc.org.uk

http://www.dafyddapgwilym.net/

Andrew

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department
Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL
@ajprescott
www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/ddh
digitalriffs.blogspot.com
+44 (0)20 7848 2651

        Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:44:18 +0100
        From: Claire Clivaz <claire.clivaz at unil.ch>

Dear John,

Such a point is regularly in discussion in our DH activities in Lausanne (CH). A good English translation for everything would mean a lot of means for us... So we try sometimes to translate entirely a website (www.unil.ch/digitalera). Or we translate just a part of it (www.dhlausanne.ch).

In my blog, I write bilingual or in French or in English, depending on the topic, and the public I have in mind: http://claireclivaz.hypotheses.org/

My English is as it is... We would need of course more needs to do a good job. But trying to communicate internationally is more important than to wait until we have the means. That is my experiment.

At another level, to work in Switzerland (at the Swiss level) requires to be comfortable in German, French, English and often Italian. So we are only a few colleagues in DH able to take the «Swiss relationship» level in charge, and that it is also problematic sometimes. I accepted to be a member of the ADHO-MLMC committee, because I am every day concerned by that point.

All the best,

Claire Clivaz