[Humanist] 26.707 waiting for, acting with

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 12:08:43 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:59:32 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: waiting, acting

While the problems that Domenico Fiormonte points to are serious, it's
not as if nothing can be done, and not as if some are failing to do what
they can. Changing the world so that everyone or more realistically a
sufficient majority has facility in many languages is a long-term
project, I won't say an impossible one, but one demanding enough that
entire careers would have to be dedicated even to make a dent in the
dominance of our lingua franca -- and note the irony in that term. I,
for one, while lamenting my limitations in regard to languages, have
other things to do while I still can do them. When walking through the
British Museum or into the British Library I reflect on the fact that I
am enjoying the fruits of empire. The same would be true of a stroll
into the BNF, the Vatican Library, the New York Public Library, the
great library in St Petersburg, once the Alexandrian Library and so on.
I'm moved to reflect that all money is blood money, and without that
money there would be no such libraries. Thinking further on it I am
amazed that we have any such libraries at all. Would we if scholarship
anywhere at any time did not serve empire or could be used for the purpose?

Much worse is the poverty of access in countries, such as Bulgaria,
where the research tradition is strong, the knowledge of ancient
languages impressive, to say the least, and the scholars highly
motivated but in which there is no funding for books or subscriptions to
online services. Here is something to be done by humane digital
humanists, no?

As editor of an English-language journal and receiver of dissertation
proposals and chapters I see a fair bit of English written by highly
intelligent non-native speakers. Usually, with a fair bit of hard work I
make sure gets done, the English that is submitted is well worth reading
if somewhat off in its command of idiom. The networked world makes this
easier to accomplish. At the same time, of course, the automatic
translation tools push crudely in the opposite direction.

Long ago a teacher in an English class read to us youngsters some poetry
written by a Korean lad who had just learned English but hadn't get
absorbed most idioms and some grammatical conventions. This teacher
pointed out what amazing and powerful beauty came from this lad's verse
-- was it in spite of the errors or because of them? Some years later I
had a Nigerian man in an English composition class whose grammatical
mistakes would have caused him to fail had his brilliant mind not shone
through (or by means of?) the terrible grammar. Four decades after the
fact I can still remember one of his compositions.

It's a rapidly changing world, and we're at the centre of it. It's good
to have problems raised so that we remain aware of what needs doing with
our digital tools and methods, don't you think?

Comments?

London; Professor, School of Humanities and Communication Arts,
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/