[Humanist] 26.692 forensics

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 07:58:47 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (95)
        Subject: Re:  26.688 forensics of terminology?

  [2]   From:    Alan Galey <galey.lists at gmail.com>                        (52)

  [3]   From:    David R <davrich at gmail.com>                               (17)
        Subject: Forensics

        Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:24:02 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

Dear Willard,

The thought that immediately crossed my mind in reading your comment was Raymond Williams's 'Keywords'. This of course was originally intended as a lengthy appendix to 'Culture and Society'. Williams's forensic dissection of these keywords was one of the foundations of the British intellectual tradition of cultural studies, and has helped transform the wider study of literature. I think it is fascinating and totally appropriate that a recent Stanford exercise in quantitative reading (recently discussed by Alan Liu) should revisit Williams's 'Keywords'. But Williams was of course concerned with historical terminology, and your suggestion is more about a critical examination of the terminology we use in our rhetoric in support of the digital humanities. You are right that we unthinkingly take over certain words as central to our approach without any very deep analysis or reflection on how we use them. Looking at those words critically might make us rethink many aspects of the ways we approach our developing subject. In recent talks (on my blog, digitalriffs.blogspot.com) I've tried to suggest that we use words like 'project', 'collaboration' and 'interdisciplinary' rather unthinkingly, and these words could do with the kind of rigorous analysis you suggest (which my initial forays certainly do not represent). Other words we should analyse perhaps are: 'team', 'access', 'curation', 'discovery', 'academic', 'scholarly', 'rigorous'. Another interesting one here, with many Wiliams overtones, is 'crowd'. Maybe we should establish a wiki to share such digital humanities keywords. In my view, such reflective analysis of terms and concepts which are increasingly becoming all pervasive should be one of the major things that the humanities brings to a digital world.

Andrew

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department
Department of Digital Humanities