[Humanist] 26.683 on open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 08:49:26 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (35)
        Subject: Overreaching and Aaron Swartz

  [2]   From:    Andrew Prescott <a.prescott at sheffield.ac.uk>              (13)
        Subject: Open Access Publication

  [3]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (14)
        Subject: Open Access

        Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:44:07 -0500
        From: Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>

Willard,

I don't doubt overreaching by prosecutors was a major cause of the
recent loss of Aaron Swartz. But, we should not be too quick to blame
only the prosecutors in an effort to absolve ourselves from some share
of responsibility.

Most of us have voted for or supported government officials who made
violation of intellectual property laws criminal acts. Members of the
public are paying the expenses of protecting the private intellectual
property owners. Backing up that protection with the power of the state
to imprison.

We have participated in the creation of a privileged class and state
apparatus to serve it. We all regret the loss of Aaron Swartz, but we
put the gun in the hand of prosecutors who pulled the trigger.

If we seriously regret losing Aaron, decriminalizing all intellectual
property laws is a first step in demonstrating our regret.

Not tweaking the overburden of IP laws, not attempting to redraw the
boundaries of privilege and fair use, all of which are important steps,
but steps that can wait.

The first step is to remove the whip of the state from the hands of
intellectual property owners. The rest will naturally follow.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

PS: There is a memorial site for Aaron Swartz:
http://www.rememberaaronsw.com/

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau