[Humanist] 26.680 job at the National Archives, London; PhD studentship at Queen's Belfast

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 08:38:23 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>                           (19)
        Subject: PhD Studentship at Queens University Belfast

  [2]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (11)
        Subject: Job Vacancy- Digital Preservation Analyst Developer, The
                National Archives (UK), London

        Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 16:23:05 +0000
        From: Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>

PhD Scholarship (DEL Strategic Award)
Interactive Documentary
School of Creative Arts
Queen’s University Belfast

An investigation into, and the design of, interactive software appropriate for use in the Prisons Memory Archive, which is a collection of filmed interviews inside Northern Irish prisons (www.prisonsmemoryarchive.com).

The PhD student will address the methodological challenge of designing the most appropriate interactive software so that users will become co-creators of narratives and meanings, rather than simply be exposed to a linear documentary. By involving users as editors and by offering pathways that integrate varied and contrasting memories, the software encourages a witnessing of the ‘other’ experiences, which is crucial in addressing the legacy of a conflicted past and will be of use in other post conflict societies.

The applicant should have previous knowledge of software design and experience working with the moving image.

Application online at https://dap.qub.ac.uk/portal/user/u_login.php

Professor Cahal McLaughlin c.mclaughlin at qub.ac.uk
028 90973634
or