[Humanist] 26.669 "digital X"?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 10 11:11:59 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:30:34 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: digital X?

The query for reactions to the phrase "digital materiality" generated
what seems to me a surprising degree of interest. My question is now
what other collocates of "digital" are particularly worth considering?
To see what might leap from the screen at me I went to Antoinette
Renouf's WebCorp (http://www.webcorp.org.uk/live/). As you might be able
to predict from a trawling of the Web, the heavy hitters tend not to
surprise: (1) photographic terms, such as "cameras", "photography"; (2)
related terms of digital media; (3) technological terms. At the 30th
place was "digital humanities", also not surprisingly. Others relatively
high on the list were "culture", "Editions" (because of Adobe) and so on.

To pursue this any further we'd need a frequency list organized by
strangeness, uneasiness, degree of upset or whatever one might call
"interest" when being less bland, more self-consciously, bravely
vulnerable.

So, let me ask, apart from "materiality" what strikes sparks against
"digital"? My choice would be "memory".

London; Professor, School of Humanities and Communication Arts,
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist