[Humanist] 26.663 "digital materiality"

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 9 07:36:09 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (69)
        Subject: Re:  26.658 "digital materiality"

  [2]   From:    Adrian Miles <adrian.miles at rmit.edu.au>                   (13)
        Subject: Re:  26.655 "digital materiality"

  [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (39)
        Subject: digital materiality

  [4]   From:    Matthew Kirschenbaum <mkirschenbaum at gmail.com>            (84)

  [5]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                (14)
        Subject: digital materiality and decay

  [6]   From:    drwender at aol.com                                          (61)
        Subject: Re:  26.652 "digital materiality"?

  [7]   From:    Jean-François_Blanchette <blanchette at ucla.edu>           (61)

        Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:52:51 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

Dear Willard,

In respect of the 'digital materiality' discussion, certainly Matthew Kirschenbaum laid to rest the idea that the digital is in some respects ethereal, incorporeal and ephemeral, and I would endorse all those who have drawn attention to the fundamental correctives offered by Matt. Isn't the next question, then, how has this view of the digital as in some way incorporeal and elusive taken such a strong hold? Possibly it is partly because we tend to think of the bit as a mysterious invisible object, rather than as a unit off measurement (we don't seem to have quite the same problem with electricity, possibly because it will bite us if we aren't careful with it). But probably an even more important reason why we see the digital as immaterial is the way in which users are kept remote from the physical aspects. Whenever you go into a server room, there can be no doubt about the materiality of the digital, often with the material lying in pieces on the floor. But we rarely go into server rooms, they are often quite distant and when things go wrong it often seems very mysterious as to why. The way in which computing service managers keep things at a distance adds to the mystery of the whole thing for many academic users. Although the materiality of the digital daily becomes more evident with our obsession with new devices of all types continues to grow, I fear this mysterious aspect of the digital is likely to take a greater hold of our imagination over the next few years, with the growth of the cloud. To users the cloud will seem remote and mysterious, but of course the cloud has a very substantial material presence, such as Apple's huge 500,000 square foot data centre in Maiden, North Carolina. The physical impact of these data centres is very considerable - Greenpeace for example has been very critical of Apple for taking vast quantities of electricity for its Maiden facility from a local grid supplied by coal and gas-fired power stations:

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/07/13/greenpeace-apple-strange-math/

The Greenpeace Report, 'How Dirty is Your Data', describes the deceptive immateriality of the digital very well:

"This societal shift to moving 1s and 0s instead of atoms and mass has the potential to significantly reduce our footprint on the planet and achieve a more sustainable model for housing the soon-to-be 7 billion neighbours we share it with. However, since the ‘cloud’ allows our digital consumption to be largely invisible, arriving magically with the tap of the ‘refresh’ button in our inboxes or onto our smartphones and tablets for immediate access, we may fail to recognise that the information we receive actually devours more and more electricity as our digital lives grow.

The data centres that house this explosion of digital information currently consume more than 3% of US electricity, and approximately 1.5% to 2% of global electricity, growing at a rate of approximately 12% annually.4 Electronic devices account for 15% of home electricity use, and are predicted to triple by 2030, equivalent to the electricity demand of the US and Japan residential market combined"..

The Greenpeace Report is available here:

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/publications/reports/How-dirty-is-your-data/

Andrew

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department