[Humanist] 26.659 XML &c

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 8 08:00:22 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:47:31 +1100
        From: Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.651 XML &c

I don't particularly care about the epistemology of markup or
anti-markup. As a researcher who has 23,000 pages of manuscript images
to deal with I would happily use whatever system (inline or stand-off)
works best and has tools associated with it. My initial work is
encoding sufficient of the text to make it discoverable and tractable,
and I am using TEI XML because I understand how to do that and there
is some support. If a standoff tool can do the same I would use it. I
have tried using Catma and it is not that tool.

I'm confident that the XML that apparently clutters up the text can be
extracted any time I want and converted to stand-off markup should the
day arrive when it seems useful to do that.

So I invite suggestions about how to deal with a collection of
manuscript images and their textual versions that is not XML and that
works now.

Thanks,

Nick Thieberger