[Humanist] 26.653 events: visualisation & the arts; mss as open data

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jan 5 08:33:11 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (20)
        Subject: Digital Humanities seminar, Kings College London

  [2]   From:    Graham Diprose <grahamdiprose at GMAIL.COM>                  (61)
        Subject: Final Reminder: Deadline 18th January: EVA London 2013 Call
                for Proposals

        Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:40:01 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

Department of Digital Humanities public seminar

‘Medieval Manuscripts as Truly Open Data’

Dr Will Noel, Director of the Special Collections Center and founding director of the Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies, University of Pennsylvania

Thursday 10 January at 6.15pm in the Anatomy Museum, 6th Floor, King’s Building, Strand Campus, King’s College London. All welcome.

Dr Noel is a distinguished historian of medieval art and manuscripts, whose publications include studies of the Harley Psalter, Utrecht Psalter and the Oxford Bible. As Curator of Manuscripts and Rare Books at the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, Dr Noel was responsible foe a ground-breaking project using innovative imaging and computing techniques to recover a text of Archimedes which had been erased in the thirteenth century, which he has described in his recent book, The Archimedes Codex: Revealing the Secrets of the World’s Greatest Palimpsest. Dr Noel has recently been appointed to direct the University of Pennsylvania’s new special collections facility which opens this year and will include a digital media lab for experimentation in the digital humanities. He is also the founding Director of the Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies, the endowment for which included a landmark collection of 287 medieval and renaissance manuscripts.

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department
Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London