[Humanist] 26.641 collocation, span and theories of memory

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 2 08:59:41 CET 2013

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 19:50:42 -0500
        From: Michael Hancher <mh at umn.edu>
        Subject: Re:  26.631 collocation, span and theories of memory?

Willard,

"Span," originally a spatial term, didn't apply to temporal matters until
the sixteenth century. And although we now think of "attention span" as a
matter of time, duration, and memory, that concept, too, was at first
spatial, not temporal, synchronic, not diachronic. "The question of _the
'span' of consciousness_ has often been asked and answered," William James
remarked in 1890, below the rubric "To how many things can we attend at
once?" (_Principles of Psychology_ 1:405). He found that "the number of
[things] that can be attended to at once is small" (1:406; see also 1:409).
For James, attention "span" was simultaneous ("at once") breadth of
attention, not duration of attention.

     Michael Hancher