[Humanist] 26.747 how to plan a digital humanities centre

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Feb 4 08:28:56 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 16:56:56 -0500
        From: Angel Nieves <anieves at hamilton.edu>
        Subject: Re:  26.743 how to plan a digital humanities centre

Dear Mike --

I have never posted to the discussion group, but I felt strongly about
underscoring Willard's thoughtful response.  At Hamilton, a small liberal
arts college in Upstate NY, we have been able to get a "center" started
only because we made a decision early on that the Digital Humanities
Initiative (DHi) must be tied into the curriculum in order to be viable
over the long term.  As we were working to develop DHi (www.dhinitiative.org)
we simultaneously developed a proposal for a new undergraduate minor in
Cinema and New Media Studies, where faculty who were already doing DH
related work could fold their research into some aspect of its courses and
where we might work to develop future courses focused primarily on DH
topics, etc.  Drawing the distinctions between service and scholarship are
critical to the success of any center.  Ensuring that the "higher-ups" in
administration see a DH center as a site of training faculty to do actually
do DH related work themselves (not simply pass the work off to graduate or
undergraduate students) and as a place to promote digital scholarship
(broadly defined) is also a careful balancing act.  Janet Simons (DHI's
Co-Director), and/or I, would be happy to provide some guidance.

Peace -- Angel

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Mr. Angel David Nieves, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Director, American Studies Program

Co-Director/Co-PI, Digital Humanities Initiative (DHi),
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Grant

Associate Editor, *Fire! The Multimedia Journal of Black Studies*
**Hamilton College, Clinton, New York, USA

 http://www.angeldavidnieves.com