[Humanist] 27.656 AI --> massive unemployment?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Dec 30 10:14:28 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 14:59:50 -0600
        From: "Robert A. Amsler" <amsler at cs.utexas.edu>
        Subject: AI Could Create Massive Unemployment within 20 years

Computers Jump to the Head of the Class
Michael Fitzpatrick
The New York Times, 29 December 2013

TOKYO — If a computer could ace the entrance exam for a top university, what would that mean for mere mortals with average intellects? This is a question that has bothered Noriko Arai, a mathematics professor, ever since the notion entered her head three years ago.

“I wanted to get a clear image of how many of our intellectual activities will be replaced by machines. That is why I started the project: Can a Computer Enter Tokyo University? — the Todai Robot Project,” she said in a recent interview.

Tokyo University, known as Todai, is Japan’s best. Its exacting entry test requires years of cramming to pass and can defeat even the most erudite. Most current computers, trained in data crunching, fail to understand its natural language tasks altogether.

Ms. Arai has set researchers at Japan’s National Institute of Informatics, where she works, the task of developing a machine that can jump the lofty Todai bar by 2021.

[For the remainder see http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/world/asia/computers-jump-to-the-head-of-the-class.html?emc=edit_tnt_20131229&tntemail0=y]