[Humanist] 27.650 disciplinary labels and boundaries

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 27 09:50:38 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 00:55:10 +0100
        From: "Dr. Hartmut Krech" <kr538 at zfn.uni-bremen.de>
        Subject: Re:  27.648 disciplinary labels and boundaries

Dear Willard,

You seem to argue for the 'tentative' as a concomitant of
interdisciplinary or rather post-disciplinary research. It
is well in place, not only between traditional areas of
research and teaching, or when new technology like computing
(or scientific illustration for that matter) redefines the
argumentative structure within the professions, but also
when scholars from widely differing scientific traditions
(e.g. China and Western Europe and America) begin to
negotiate a common ground of discourse.

On the other hand -- the Sokal hoax may still ring in some
readers' ears --, the 'independence' claimed and exploited
in post-modern thinking will leave few, if any traces. When
I read that the early modern 'cabinets of curiosities'
showed "that nature and art had histories," I remember
Plinii Naturalis Historia and don't have a great mind to
read the book.

I feel that digital humanities, not the least because you
keep on raising the question, is on a good way of becoming a
discipline by giving guidance to divergent and sometimes
disparate approaches, where one may also discuss
perspectives like Badiou's ontology that do not seem to
pertain to Digital Humanities at first sight.

Best regards,
Hartmut
http://ww3.de/krech