[Humanist] 27.646 Solstitial greetings from London

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Dec 21 10:30:24 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:09:22 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: solstitial greetings

By custom that began long ago -- back in the mists of time when digital
humanities was known as computing in or, more tentatively, and the
humanities, and soon then to become humanities computing -- I am this
morning exercising editorial privilege to send out greetings on the
northern hemispheric winter solstice, for me and for many others in
anticipation of Christmas. Three years ago I began making a traditional
English Christmas pudding (Delia's recipe), which, after some
adjustments in the amount of suet, I seem to have done acceptably well.
Last year I attempted a traditional Christmas cake, which during
childhood I knew as fruit cake, and despite warnings of how difficult it
would be to get right, managed to produce one better, my partner
declared, than her Irish mother's. So, much encouraged, I am trying my
luck again. Both pudding and cake have been faithfully watered with the
proper liquids. Other preparations are well underway. This morning one
of the London papers is promising snow for Christmas, the rest lament
the coming of much rain, but whichever it turns out to be, I will enjoy
a traditional cozy time in the warmth and very much hope the same,
or equivalent pleasures, for everyone.

In the places in which I have lived, the news broadcasts of television
and radio have always seemed to me to communicate a sense of community
life, even in big cities where sometimes one's imagination needs to work
assiduously to maintain that sense. Recently someone hoping to be a
doctoral student here described a project to study the imagining of
metaphorically diasporic communities created online -- like this one, I
suppose. But yesterday a treasured friend wrote that recently he had
begun to detect signs of strain in the often remarked collegiality of
digital humanists, signs that this remarkable collegiality might be
giving way to the competitiveness characteristic of older disciplines.
He reported that a friend of his had taken this to be a sign of the
discipline's maturation. Like my friend I hope for maturity but not for
any attenuation of communal warmth.

I won't say that I began writing this note with the intention of stoking
that particular fire, but the thought that I might be helping against an
emotional chill does keep me from regarding all this as silly, and so
deleting the note and starting over.

I cannot recall when it was that I noticed a shifting of the imbalance
between notices of events on Humanist and adverts for jobs, but I think
this occurred sometime during 2013. Perhaps it was in 2012. (Where is
that much hoped-for doctoral candidate in sociology to study the almost
3 decades of Humanist?) I also note that both of the first two holders
of doctorates awarded by King's College London in digital humanities,
Luke Blaxill and ؘyvind Eide, are gainfully employed (in more than one
sense), the former as Drapers' Company Junior Research Fellow, Hertford
College Oxford, the latter as Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, Lehrstuhl
für Digital Humanities, Universität Passau. There will be others to
report on in the next year or so. Don Waters' essay, on which I recently
commented, shows us that we have much work to do in clarifying the
significance of the work we are doing, but unless we fulfill the dark
fantasy played out in The Terminator (1984) or one of its many Cold War
kin, the discipline will, I think, survive current distractions and
actually begin to fulfil some of the promise -- this promise being, of
course, like the leather purse in the folktale. It is good, is it not,
to be a bit worried about whether we belong? Those Cold War fantasies
point to an alienness, I like to argue, which both keeps us at the
margins and guarantees that the practice we instantiate is a cornucopia
for the humanities. What if perpetual youth means that digital
humanities never gets to sit in one of the comfy chairs? It must,
however, maintain its place at the table.

Yesterday two books popped through my postal slot: John G. Kemeny's Man
and the Computer (1972), developed from his Man and Nature Lectures, The
American Museum of Natural History, 1971; and Thomas P. Hughes' Rescuing
Prometheus: Four Monumental Projects that Changed the Modern World
(1998). Kemeny, who worked with John von Neumann, was a mathematician
and philosopher, at that time President of Dartmouth College, argues in the
former book that, as he says, "a new species is born... that within the
last generation man has acquired an important symbiote... the high-speed
computer" (p. 3). He's quite serious about blurring the distinction. In
the latter book Hughes describes the work of the Air Defense Systems
Engineering Committee (ADSEC, U.S.), also known as the Valley Committee
after its prime mover, MIT professor George E. Valley. After WWII Valley
became quite worried about the capability of the U.S. to defend itself
against Soviet nuclear missile attack, hence the Committee. In its
October 1950 report, from which Hughes quotes, Valley et al, persuaded
that the idea of a "system" was generally unfamiliar, troubled
themselves to describe exactly what they had in mind. The heavy
influence of cybernetics will be obvious:

> The word [system] itself is very general. . . [as for instance] the "solar
> system" and the "nervous system," in which the word pertains to
> special arrangements of matter.... The Air Defense System, then, is an
> organism. . . . What then are organisms? They are of three kinds:
> animate organisms which comprise animals and groups of animals,
> including men; partly animate organisms which involve animals
> together with inanimate devices such as in the Air Defense System;
> and inanimate organisms such as vending machines. All these organisms
> possess in common: sensory components, communication facilities, data
> analysing devices, centers of judgement, directors of action, and
> effectors, or executing agencies.... It is the function of an
> organism... to achieve some defined purpose.  (pp. 21f)

By 1950 Roberto Busa was well on his way with the Index Thomisticus -- a
component, one might say, of an organism with a rather different
purpose. By 1970 the first journal in digital humanities, Computers and
the Humanities, was four years old, reporting on other such organisms.
About the same time Stafford Beer, who had set up a cybernetic system of
government for Chilean President Salvador Allende, was advising
corporations on how to structure themselves as organisms, e.g. in The
Brain of the Firm (1972), whose title is quite literally meant. The book
is complete with neurophysiological diagrams and descriptions. Easy to
laugh at now, perhaps, but at the time such thoughts were quite
seriously intended and persuasively argued by brilliant people. Andrew
Pickering, author e.g. of The Cybernetic Brain (Chicago, 2010), calls
this a vision of an alternative future. Ours, changing what needs to be
changed?

Visions of sugarplums this is not, but how can any of us resist such
thoughts dancing in our heads?

Happy holidays to all! And by the way, if anyone here can lay hands on
that October 1950 ADSEC report, now declassified but *very* hard to find,
please stuff a pdf of it into my virtual stocking.