[Humanist] 27.627 the social conditions of our work

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 08:26:14 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:55:13 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re:  27.619 the social conditions of our work

Dear Willard,

Two comments:

1. You are right to stress that the pursuit of research funding has create pressures which distort research funding. Another discussion of this to add to the excellent list which you provide is:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=trial-sans-error-how-pharma-funded-research-cherry-picks-positive-results&page=2

However, scientific research is expensive, and often simply will not take place unless it is funded. We all have an interest in well-funded pharmaceutical research. I personally would be happy to pay more taxes to ensure that there is a vibrant scientific research culture which is not dependent on commercial interests, but I suspect that this is not a view which command widespread assent. The same issues apply with Digital Humanities. DH is potentially expensive and that creates pressure on researchers to find money to fund their research ideas.

2. I don’t think we should assume that older generations of researchers were all as scrupulous as Fr Busa. One need only think of the controversy around Cyril Burt to show that this is by no means a new problem (A good new discussion of the Burt controversy is by Plucker, J. A. (Ed.). (2013). Human intelligence: Historical influences, current controversies, teaching resources: http://www.intelltheory.com/burtaffair.shtml). Burt’s motives remain obscure: some have ascribed them to illness, others to an overweening sense of self-aggrandisement (the besetting sin of academics, far more worrying than pursuit of research income): http://www.education.auckland.ac.nz/webdav/site/education/shared/hattie/docs/the-burt-controversy-%281991%29.pdf. This pursuit of respectability and social prestige appears to have been in the past a major factor in scientific fraud, as the series of fraudulent discoveries (including perhaps Piltdown Man) associated with the name of Charles Dawson suggest: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/caah/landscapeandtownscapearchaeology/piltdown_man_a.html.

Maybe the issue is not that scientific fraud is becoming more commonplace, but rather that the motives are changing - it is nowadays more frequently a case of financial survival, whereas in the past fraud was undertaken in pursuit of fame and fortune.

Andrew

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department
Department of Digital Humanities