[Humanist] 27.606 more nutty (or sensible?) behaviour

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 07:44:44 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 08:44:45 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: more nutty (or sensible?) behaviour

While on the subject of reactions to computers in the early days, let me
advance from the likes of Silicon Shock to a different kind of response
-- what I think of as the genre of reassurance, of which John Shore's
The Sachertorte Algorithm and Benn Ross Schneider, Jr.'s Travels in
Computerland seem to me to belong. Of these two the latter draws my
attention in particular for its curious style of presentation. The
typography, quotations on the title page, table of contents and language
evoke the sense of 18C travel literature, such as Robinson Crusoe and
Gulliver's Travels. (Here is a good example of what text encoding would
miss or handle poorly, the stuff to which a book historian would pay
close attention, I'd think.)

The sense of genteel humour brought to what was then (in 1974) a
delicate subject for many -- the computer in scholarship! -- is obvious.
Looking at this book now, however, I wonder: is this not rather curious
evidence of a deep unease? When someone tells you things are fine, you
may wonder what there is to be worried about. When someone tells a joke
you sometimes have to wonder, why this particular joke, told in this
particular manner? Shore's book (1985) deals with the anxieties aroused
by computing in quite a straightforward way, though the reassurances do
raise questions. Chapter 1, for example, is entitled, "Intimidation and
Anxiety". Chapter 11, "Electronic Cretins", alludes more interestingly
to what by then had become a standard response to the fear of
artificially intelligent "giant brains" -- according to Pamela
McCorduck, this was initiated by IBM executives worried about loss of
sales. Don't worry, they were saying, our machines are just "fast morons"
(which was the usual term).

But Schneider's sense of humour? In the fairytales recorded/modified by
the Brothers Grimm, scary situations, spilling of blood etc are hardly
ameliorated. I am not at all sure I'd read some of them to small
children. But I am also not at all sure it's a good idea to make
monsters furry and friendly, such as the Cookie Monster -- to hide away
completely the nature of the world we live in.

The historiographical problem is this: as Richard M. Fried says at the
beginning of The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming! Pagentry
and Patriotism in Cold-War America (Oxford, 1998),

> School children did not "Duck and Cover" from atomic attack every
> school day. Adults may have worried more about car payments than
> Bolshevism -- though doubtless many would have liked this priority
> reversed. How did anti-communism settle into people's lives at times
> HUAC or McCarthy or lesser imitators were not in the news? We
> remember volcanic eruptions, but what of the fine dust?  (p. ix)

Recovering what computing meant to our predecessors, and so
understanding what course they set us on, means sifting that fine dust,
such as Schneider's stylistic quirks.

Comments?