[Humanist] 27.602 nuts about computers?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Dec 8 11:36:45 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:29:10 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: nuts about computers?

I would greatly appreciate recommendations of books (and articles)
published up to the early 1990s that attack the computer as a pernicious
influence and cause of social ills or promote it with equal, unreasoning
vigour. I want to have a reliable sense of how much the onset of
computing in those Cold War years rocked our social and intellectual
boat emotionally.

Two examples of the unreasoning negative come to mind: Harvey Matusow's
curious, only half humorous collection of stories, The Beast of
Business: A Record of Computer Atrocities (1968), and Geoff Simons'
Silicon Shock: The Menace of the Computer Invasion (1985), which begins
with four anecdotes, two of nausea at the sight of a computer, two of
men (one of them a policeman) shooting theirs. I am not so much looking
for milder, reasoned, reassuring, even lighthearted arguments designed
to counteract panic and fear, such as found in John Short's The
Sachertorte Algorithm and Other Antidotes to Computer Anxiety (1958) or
in Ben Ross Schneider's Travels in Computerland, or Incompatibilities and
Interfaces (1974), though if you know of others in this genre please
tell me.

Nor am I so keen on the more serious kind against computing, esp against
AI, such as Mortimer Taube's Computers and Common Sense: The Myth of the
Thinking Machine (1961), whose attack is reflected in the many stories
told by Pamela McCorduck in her wonderful book Machines Who Think: A
Personal Inquiry into the History and Prospects of Artificial
Intelligence (1979, rev edn 2004).

On the positive side I am very keen on proclamations of revolutionary
impact, such as firebrand scholar Stephen Parrish's at the first conference
dedicated to our field, at which he allied himself with the scientists in C. P.
Snow's 1959 Rede Lecture, or such as Edmund C. Berkeley's Giant Brains,
or Machines that Think (1949) or his The Computer Revolution (1962).

In brief, I am interested in the excited, aggressive, fear-struck or
simply over-the-top reactions to that which we now take for granted as
a kind of appliance and calmly theorize. I think our sometimes nutty
predecessors saw something important, though mostly misinterpreted it.
Their reactions, I am wanting to argue, need to be seen in context, e.g. of the
cultural scene described by the great anthropologist Margaret Mead in
Culture and Commitment: A Study of the Generation Gap (1972).

Many thanks.