[Humanist] 27.593 pubs: metrics for publishing; boundaries of patronage

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 4 08:17:05 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Maria Bonn <mbonn at umich.edu>                              (60)
        Subject: CFP: Metrics for Measuring Publishing Value: Alternative and
                Otherwise: The Journal of Electronic Publishing

  [2]   From:    Albert Lloret <albert.lloret at HOTMAIL.COM>                  (9)
        Subject: Digital Philology 2.2

        Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 10:47:30 -0600
        From: Maria Bonn <mbonn at umich.edu>
        Subject: CFP: Metrics for Measuring Publishing Value: Alternative and Otherwise: The Journal of Electronic Publishing

Call for submissions: Metrics for Measuring Publishing Value

Historically, the value of publication has been measured by success in the
marketplace and impact of the publication, whether that impact be cultural
or scholarly. The calculus of this value has been as straightforward as
number of copies sold (documented most widely in “best seller” lists)
and/or dollars in profit generated to the complex citation and referral
counts that result in a scholarly “impact factor.”

As with so many areas of our cultural and intellectual lives, the widespread
adoption of digital technology and networked communication (with its
attendant social media practices) has disrupted our metrics of publishing
value and has called for a revision of the ways in which that value is
calculated. In some professional and social circles, page visits, link
referrals, Google ranks, presence in the Twitter universe and other social
media prominence, are now taken as seriously as scholarly citation and
profit margins, a shift that raises questions for how scholars balance the
emerging professional requirement for an online presences with the need for
privacy and protected space for research. In addition, the value measure of
pages visits and glances (where a quick hit might “count” for the same
as an extended period of study and engagement) are still in the early stages
of development.

While we have seen the rise of “altmetrics” and “impact stories,”
weeks on the *New York Times* Best Seller List continue to indicate
worthiness for attention and the case for scholarly job security continues
to be made by citation based measures. In addition, the increased ease of
collaboration and co-authoring, even across wide spans of time and space,
make assigning authorial and impact “credit” both more compelling and
more difficult. We are also still developing rubrics for calculating the
broader social contribution of work that is made widely available via the
Web. In the scholarly context this revision of measures of value continue to
be embedded in disciplinary practices and prejudices, contexts that have a
significant impact upon shaping evaluation metrics.

The Journal of Electronic Publishing
http://journalofelectronicpublishing.org/ (JEP) invites reflections and
reportage on enduring, emerging and potential measures of publication value.
We expect such discussions will be rooted in the publishing context (of
value to whom, for whom?) and will address both short-comings and usefulness
of the metrics under discussion. While we anticipate that our contributors
will be attendant to changes wrought by digital technology and networked
communication, we are also interested in metrics embedded within print
culture, both those that endure and those that are no longer current.

Publication is anticipated for late spring, 2014; final drafts will be due
in April, 2014. Please send article ideas and indications of interest to the
editor, Maria Bonn mbonn at illinois.edu. Please see the journal website for
more information about the journal and the submission process
http://www.journalofelectronicpublishing.org/submit.html.

JEP articles are peer-reviewed at the request of the author, and
peer-reviewed articles are identified as such in both the article and in the
preservation metadata. Editorial decisions are otherwise made by the editor
in consultation with the editorial board. If you yourself are not prepared
to write on these topics but you know of others who should be invited to
contribute, please send suggestions to the editor, as above.

- See more at:
http://www.publishing.umich.edu/2013/11/26/cfp-metrics-for-measuring-publishing-value-jep/#sthash.p7zTqVfL.dpuf

Maria Bonn
Senior Lecturer,
Graduate School of Information and Library Science
University of Illinois
Editor, Journal of electronic Publishing
(http://www.journalofelectronicpublishing.org)