[Humanist] 27.588 mass surveillance

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 07:52:25 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 16:39:30 +0100 (CET)
        From: "Victoria HF Scott" <vhfscott at gmx.de>
        Subject: Mass Surveillance, Academic Libraries, and Data Protection

Hello!

A friend and I recently translated a German article by Roland Reuss about the
significance of the NSA revelations for academic libraries, students, and
scholars. It details how Google has transformed academic library catalogues
into machines for mass surveillance. The article is specifically about what is
happening in Germany, but it is an international phenomenon that is, in my
opinion, beyond disturbing. There has been some discussion about libraries and
the NSA in the US, but not *academic* libraries and the NSA. I am hoping the
translation might change that.

The original German article can be consulted here:
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/buecher/themen/datenschutz-in-
bibliotheken-sie-nennen-es-service-dabei-ist-es-torheit-12659003.html

The English translation is attached.

Please feel free to circulate widely.

All my best,
Victoria H.F. Scott