[Humanist] 27.304 historical documents on project management?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Aug 31 10:08:23 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:01:13 -0600
        From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>
        Subject: Historical Documents for Project Management

Dear Humanists,

Can anyone suggest interesting readings for a course on project management in the digital humanities. I am not looking so much for contemporary advice on how to manage projects - there is certainly plenty of that. I am looking for documents of historical importance in the evolution of our thinking about project management or documents important to the ways the digital humanities has come to think of itself as involved in projects.

Some examples I have found include "The Mythical Man-Month" essay by Fred Brooks. Another is "The Project Manager" by Paul Gaddis which was published in 1959 in The Harvard Business Review.

To be frank I would welcome any suggestions that are well written, accessible to graduate students, and which promote reflection on project management and its discourses.

Yours,

Geoffrey Rockwell