[Humanist] 27.292 events: many and various

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 08:57:44 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Andrew Shi-hwa Chen <andrewsw at gmail.com>                 (106)
        Subject: CFP: Computer Culture (SWPACA Conference, February 19-22,
                2014)

  [2]   From:    Marten_Düring <m.duering at zoho.com>                       (85)
        Subject: Conference programme: The Future of Historical Network
                Research 13-15 Sept, Hamburg, GER

  [3]   From:    Mark Hedges <mark.hedges at kcl.ac.uk>                        (7)
        Subject: CfP: SSH and big data workshop/EUDAT conference 2013

  [4]   From:    Fabio Ciotti <fabio.ciotti at uniroma2.it>                   (17)
        Subject: Early registration to TEI Conference 2013 to close on 31
                August

  [5]   From:    "Keralis, Spencer" <Spencer.Keralis at unt.edu>              (13)
        Subject: Digital Frontiers 2013 Conference & THATCamp, September 19-
                21, Denton, TX

  [6]   From:    Albert Lloret <albert.lloret at HOTMAIL.COM>                 (20)
        Subject: CFP - Manuscript Studies Across the Disciplines

  [7]   From:    Ken Goldberg <goldberg at berkeley.edu>                      (45)
        Subject: * Nov 6: The Uncanny Valley Revisited: A Tribute to Masahiro
                Mori

  [8]   From:    Gaël_Dias <gael.dias at unicaen.fr>                         (98)
        Subject: 1st Workshop on Histoinformatics (Histoinformatics 2013)

        Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:10:21 -0500
        From: Andrew Shi-hwa Chen <andrewsw at gmail.com>
        Subject: CFP: Computer Culture (SWPACA Conference, February 19-22, 2014)

Computer Culture area

35th Annual Southwest Popular / American Culture Association Conference

February 19-22, 2014

Hyatt Regency, Albuquerque, NM

www.southwestpca.org  http://www.swtxpca.org

We are accepting papers and forming panels for the area of Computer
Culture, as one of the many areas within the 35th annual conference of the
Southwest Popular/American Culture Association (SWPACA).

The conference was formerly named the Southwest/Texas Popular Culture
Association / American Culture Association (SW/TX PCA/ACA).

Computer is broadly defined as any computational device, whether smartphone
or abacus, and any form of information technology, including the origins of
concepts of interactive text which may predate computational devices as
traditionally conceived.

Culture is rooted in the concept of cultural meaning. We ask not just
operational questions such as, "How do people communicate using computers?"
but questions of meaning such as, "What does it mean when people
communicate using computers instead of using pre-computer approaches to
communication?"

"Computer Culture" can be understood in a variety of ways:

   -

   the culture of the computer, that is, as computers interact with each
   other, what culture do they have of their own?
   -

   the culture around the computer, that is, (sub)cultures associated with
   the production, maintenance, use, and destruction of computers
   -

   the culture through the computer, that is, explicit treatment of how
   computer mediation influences cultural phenomena that exist or has existed
   in forms that did not involve computer mediation, and what these influences
   mean
   -

   the culture by the computer, that is, the ways in which new
   (sub)cultures or (sub)cultural phenomena have arisen because of computers
   and understandings of these given awareness of the nature and/or workings
   of computers

Example questions associated with Computer Culture would include, but not
be limited to:

   -

   What implications are there because of the powerfulness of
   (computer/information) technology ___ and are these implications
   beneficial, detrimental, inevitable, or avoidable?
   -

   What are the cultural origins of computers, computer/information
   technologies, and practices (such as ____) associated with them? What is
   the descriptive and prescriptive outlook for the conditions of those
   cultural forces associated with those cultural origins?
   -

   How do cultural forces (such as changes from one generation to the next,
   trends in education or society, or other cultural phenomena) impact (and
   are impacted by) computer/information technologies/market-forces, and what
   do these impacts (in either direction or both) mean?

Paper topics might include (but are not limited to) those that address:

   -

   issues of (re)presentation through computers (Web site analysis and
   design),
   -

   methods of discourse involving computers (blogging, Twitter, social
   networks, viral video, live feeds),
   -

   theories focused on the relationship between computers and culture,
   -

   uses of computers in particular contexts and the impacts thereof
   (computers and pedagogy, online literary journals),
   -

   the relationship between computers and cultural forces (such as news,
   politics, and terrorism),
   -

   security/privacy/fraud and computers (online security issues, spam,
   scams, and hoaxes),
   -

   and others.

While we will consider any relevant paper, we have a preference for those
that involve transferable methodological approaches. This is an
interdisciplinary conference, and other conference attendees would benefit
from being able to adapt your research methods to their future research.

Scholars, teachers, professionals, artists, and others interested in
computer culture are encouraged to participate.

Graduate students are also particularly welcome with award opportunities
for the best graduate papers. More information about awards can be found at
http://southwestpca.org/conference/graduate-student-awards/
Specifically, we would like to highlight the following award opportunities:

   -

   The "Computer Culture and Game Studies Award"
   -

   The "Heldrich-Dvorak Travel Fellowships"

Given how papers may often fall into multiple categories, there may be
other award opportunities listed at
http://southwestpca.org/conference/graduate-student-awards/ which would be
appropriate for your paper.  (However, each presenter may only apply for
one – not including the Travel Fellowships, which can be in addition.)

If you wish to form your own panel, we would be glad to facilitate your
needs.

This conference is a presentation opportunity. For a publication
opportunity, we encourage you to consider submitting your paper to the
Southwest PCA/ACA’s new journal, Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of
Popular Culture and Pedagogy, at

http://journaldialogue.org/call-for-papers/

Please pass along this call to friends and colleagues.

For consideration, submit 100-200 word abstracts and proposals for panels
before

Friday, November 1, 2013

to the conference’s electronic submission system which can be found at:
http://conference2014.southwestpca.org/

If you have any questions, contact the Computer Culture area co-chairs,
Andrew Chen (andrewsw at gmail.com) and Joseph Chaney (jchaney at iusb.edu).