[Humanist] 27.282 the force of online publication

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Aug 14 22:13:35 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:58:23 +0100
        From: Daniel Allington <daniel.allington at open.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re:  27.280 the force of online publication?

Dan

I was talking to an editor at Bloomsbury / Continuum a couple of weeks ago, and he told me about a book he'd published where the text was also available as a free website. He told me that in his opinion, a publisher makes *books* (printed or electronic), and a website is something else, even if the words are the same. I can't remember the name of the book, but if I could, it would be a parallel example. It was in the field of digital culture. Outside of academia, there seems to be a trend in programming manuals, where the author publishes what is effectively the first draft on his or her website for free, then publishes the corrected text with a commercial publisher.

Best wishes

Daniel

Dr Daniel Allington
Lecturer in English Language Studies