[Humanist] 27.269 events: digital history

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Aug 7 22:49:01 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 08:15:12 +0000
        From: "Tupman, Charlotte" <charlotte.tupman at KCL.AC.UK>
        Subject: Digital Classicist seminar: 'Insights in the World of Thucydides: The Hellespont Project as a research environment for Digital History'

Digital Classicist London & Institute of Classical Studies Seminar 2013

Friday August 9 at 16:30 in room G37, Senate House, Malet Street, London,

WC1E 7HU

Agnes Thomas, Francesco Mambrini & Matteo Romanello (DAI, Berlin),

'Insights in the World of Thucydides: The Hellespont Project as a research environment for Digital History'

ALL WELCOME

The Hellespont Project aims to integrate two of the largest online collections for the study of Antiquity, the Perseus Digital Library and the Arachne archaeological database, in a dynamic digital research environment. Our case study is focused on a limited historical period, the 50 years in the history of Athens between the Persian Wars and the outburst of the Peloponnesian War (431 BCE), following the narration presented by Thucydides (1.89-118). Our goal is to create a “digital sourcebook” where the different sources (texts and images) are linked and enriched with linguistic, archaeological and historical annotation.

The seminar will be followed by wine and refreshments.

For more information please contact Gabriel.Bodard at kcl.ac.uk<mailto:Gabriel.Bodard at kcl.ac.uk>,

Stuart.Dunn at kcl.ac.uk<mailto:Stuart.Dunn at kcl.ac.uk>, S.Mahony at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:S.Mahony at ucl.ac.uk> or Charlotte.Tupman at kcl.ac.uk<mailto:Charlotte.Tupman at kcl.ac.uk>,

or see the seminar website at

     http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/wip2013.html

--
Dr. Charlotte Tupman
Project Research Associate & Study Abroad Tutor

Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 7145