[Humanist] 27.268 an app-ified life?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 6 22:30:00 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 06:24:00 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: an app-ified life?

In my previous note citing Ian Hacking's review of the Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual, 5th edition, that the publisher, the American
Psychiatric Association, has released the DSM-5 in the form of an app
for iOS and Android devices (http://www.appi.org/Pages/DSM5Mobile.aspx).

This, I think, would make a very good case for studying the affective if
not effective differences between codex and digital publication. The
next time you are on a bus or train, for example, observe the people who
are deep into their mobile phones. Imagine one or perhaps some of them
to be psychiatrists, or psychiatric patients, or potential ones,
searching this app to find out what is the matter, watching the
supporting videos etc. Given the potency of psycho-social classification
on the classified (for which see Hacking's Rewriting the Soul), might we
not be looking at a threshold effect?

Yes, of course, books also can rewrite the soul, but as so much depends
on the soul's conditioning, on the person's beliefs, I would think that
an app-ified domain many believe to be a science, given the status
science has in our society, would be in another league together, esp
when accelerated by technological packaging.

Comments?