[Humanist] 27.260 events: palaeography

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Aug 4 22:22:16 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:26:48 +0000
        From: "Brookes, Stewart" <stewart.brookes at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Registration Opens for DigiPal Symposium: Monday 16th September 2013...

Date: Monday 16th September 2013

Event: DigiPal Symposium III

Co-sponsor: Centre for Late Antique and Medieval Studies, King's College London

Location: King's College London, Strand WC2R 2LS

Dear all,

It is with great delight that the DigiPal team (Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London) announce that registration is open for the third DigiPal Symposium (list of speakers below).

Attendance is free and open to all, but places are limited and so registration is essential.

As we're celebrating the relaunch of our website and database, we're pleased to offer a *free* sandwich-style lunch to the first 80 participants who register. Who said there's no such thing as a "free lunch"? I guess those who dilly and dally before registering ;-)

--------------------------
How do I register?
--------------------------

To register, send an email to digipal [at] kcl.ac.uk http://kcl.ac.uk/ , including your details as you would like them to appear on your name badge.

Registration is likely to close on Friday 6th September 2013. Of course, if you want to be in with a chance of the coveted free lunch, then we recommend registering as soon as possible. Oh, and do please let us know if you are vegetarian.

Looking forward to seeing you in September,

Stewart Brookes and Peter Stokes
--
DigiPal, taking each day one folio at a time: http://digipal.eu/

Dr Stewart J Brookes
Research Associate
Digital Resource for Palaeography
Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London

--------------
Speakers
--------------

Eleanor Anthony (University of Mississippi):
"From the Archimedes’ Palimpsest to the Vercelli Book: Dual Correlation Pattern Recognition and
Probabilistic Network Approaches to Palaeography in Damaged Manuscripts."

Sarah Biggs and Julian Harrison (British Library): "Beyond the Reading Room: Medieval Manuscripts in the Digital Age"

Samantha Blickhan (Royal Holloway, University of London): "Musical Perception and Digital Surrogates: On Using E-Resources for Teaching Early Music Notation"

Stewart Brookes (King's College London): "So Long and Thanks for All the F-shaped 'y's"

Vincent Christlein (University of Erlangen-Nuremberg): "A Letter Driven Writer Identification in Medieval Papal Charters"

David Ganz (University of Notre Dame and University of Cambridge.): "'Polygraphism': the Scribe Who Can Write Several Scripts"

Tony Harris (University of Cambridge): "Getting to the ‘Hart’ of the Matter – Digitally Speaking"

Lambert Schomaker (University of Groningen): "Computer Methods for Handwriting Analysis"

Peter Stokes (King's College London): "What is DigiPal, Really?"

Dominique Stutzmann (French National Centre for Scientific Research): Automatic letter-form identification in the ORIFLAMMS project"

Jacob Thaisen (University of Stavanger): "A Survey of Middle English Letter-Forms"

Jean-Paul van Oosten (University of Groningen): "Word Image Retrieval from Historical Handwritten Document Collections: The Monk System"

Tessa Webber (University of Cambridge): "The Analysis of Letters: Form, Shape and Stroke"