[Humanist] 27.258 Open Syllabus Project: call for contributions

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Aug 1 22:28:34 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 14:55:17 -0400
        From: Alex Gil <colibri.alex at gmail.com>
        Subject: Open Syllabus Project

Dear Humanist,

The Open Syllabus Project  http://opensyllabusproject.org/  is pleased to
announce that it has received a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation to
support its first year of development.

The OSP’s mission is to build a large-scale online collection of
syllabiand to build foundational tools for analyzing it, in order to advance
scholarly inquiry, promote institutional cooperation, and foster pedagogical
diversity. We believe that this critical mass of syllabi will stimulate new
research tools, drive policy change, foster best practices, provide new
metrics, and aid in the search, discovery, and the development of new course
materials.

Toward these ends we have assembled a team of scholars, librarians,
administrators, open scholarship activists who can make this ambitious
project a reality. We are lucky to have supporters in Dan Cohen’s Million
Syllabus Archive  http://www.dancohen.org/2011/03/30/a-million-syllabi/ ,
Harvard University’s Berkman Center <https://cyber.law.harvard.edu/>  and
metaLab  http://metalab.harvard.edu/ , Columbia’s American Assembly
http://americanassembly.org/ , Butler Library and the English Department,
University of Washington’s Project Information Literacy
http://projectinfolit.org/ , and UNC’s Digital Innovation
http://digitalinnovation.unc.edu/  group.`

Now, we need your help. We have data, but we need more. Whether a few sheets
or a few terabytes, please consider helping us to build this collective
dataset. In return, release a rich dataset of metadata to the public, while
protecting the original documents in a secure “research sandbox”
environment. Talk to your administrators, share your university, college,
departmental, or private collections. Let’s use the data we have to drive
institutional change, to experiment, and to innovate in this area.

We are also actively looking for researchers interested in natural language
processing and archive architecture, and for students at all levels who can
benefit from hands-on experience (and a modest compensation) working on a
tough, real-world problem.

Thanks to our funders we are able to support some initial rapid development,
but the long-term success of the project depends on your participation.
Visit us at opensyllabusproject.org to learn how to get involved and stay
tuned for more developments.

OSP Team