[Humanist] 26.1005 events: summer school at Oxford; medieval studies at Kalamazoo

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Apr 30 07:18:35 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Dot Porter <dot.porter at gmail.com>                         (49)
        Subject: Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance (MESA) Workshop at
                Kalamazoo

  [2]   From:    James Cummings <James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk>               (34)
        Subject: Digital Humanities at Oxford Summer School - Poster Session
                deadline: 1 May!

        Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:41:51 -0400
        From: Dot Porter <dot.porter at gmail.com>
        Subject: Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance (MESA) Workshop at Kalamazoo

The Medieval Electronic Scholarly Alliance (MESA) is sponsoring a workshop,
led by Dot Porter and Tim Stinson, at the International Congress on Medieval
Studies in Kalamazoo, MI. The workshop is scheduled for Friday, May 10,
10am, Waldo Library Classroom A. This room is a computer lab. No
registration is required, just come if you are interested in learning more
about MESA.

Wat is MESA? Funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, MESA is a federated
international community of scholars, projects, institutions, and
organizations engaged in digital scholarship within the field of medieval
studies. MESA seeks both to provide a community for those engaged in digital
medieval studies and to meet emerging needs of this community, including
making recommendations on technological and scholarly standards for
electronic scholarship, the aggregation of data, and the ability to discover
and repurpose this data. MESA is also a website, providing a federated
search across digital medieval projects and collections. This workshop will
focus on the use of the website (which is set to launch publicly in early
Summer).

In this workshop, we’ll do three things:

First, we’ll demonstrate MESA’s functionality and use. This will answer
the most basic question: What is MESA, and what can it be used for? This
part of the workshop will be useful both for a generally interested audience
of scholars, and for individuals and groups who may be interested in having
their projects in MESA.

Next, we’ll practice using MESA for research purposes. This will be the
most hands-on part of the workshop, and we encourage participants to come
ready to search, comment, and perhaps even to start to build scholarship in
the workshop.

Finally, we’ll present background on how federating projects into MESA
actually works. This part of the workshop is aimed particularly at
individuals and groups who may be interested in having their projects in
MESA, although others may be interested to learn about the process. This
will involve some technical discussion and in-workshop coding examples.
Workshop attendees representing projects are invited to bring project
metadata with them, and we will work on extracting the RDF metadata required
by MESA during the workshop. If you are interested in having your project
used as an in-workshop example, please email dot.porter at gmail.comto express
interest.

To read more about MESA, please visit our blog:http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/mesa/

--