[Humanist] 26.988 an illustration to Gulliver's Travels?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Apr 25 07:47:33 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:13:58 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: an illustration to Gulliver's Travels

In Part IV of Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, "Voyage to the
Country of the Houyhnhnms", occurs this passage:

> Being one day abroad with my protector, the sorrel nag, and the
> weather exceeding hot, I entreated him to let me bathe in a river
> that was near. He consented, and I immediately stripped myself stark
> naked, and went down softly into the stream. It happened that a young
> female Yahoo... saw the whole proceeding, and inflamed by desire...
> came running with all speed, and leaped into the water within five
> yards of the place where I bathed.... She embraced me after a most
> fulsome manner. I roared as loud as I could....

As a result of this confrontation, some say a "near rape" of Gulliver by
the Yahoo (near?), Gulliver can no longer maintain his argument that he
is not a Yahoo, and so must leave the company of the creatures of
perfect reason and head for home. There he finds himself repelled by
human company and beds down with his horses.

I am fond of using this passage to illustrate the fear of a resemblance to
animals (and so, thanks to Descartes and others, machines) stirred up
by earlier European discoveries, e.g. of the Orang-outang. I would very
much like to find an illustration of the passage from Gulliver's Travels
that does it justice and, unlike David Jones', depicts it in an immediate
and obvious way, for use in lectures. But apart from Jones'
(http://www.goldmarkart.com/female-yahoo-embraces-gulliver.html),
another that depicts the scene prior to Gulliver getting into the stream and
has both of them dressed, and another which misses the point by showing
Gulliver to be unambiguously disgusted, I have found none.

Can anyone help?

London; Professor, School of Humanities and Communication Arts,
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/