[Humanist] 26.987 events: learning from games

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 24 07:07:26 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:45:25 +0100
        From: Stuart Dunn <stuart.dunn at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: CeRch Seminar, King's College London: "Learning from Games at the Digital Humanities Campsite"

CeRch Seminar, King's College London

"Learning from Games at the Digital Humanities Campsite"
Erik Champion, Aarhus University

Tuesday April 30th 2013, 18.15

Anatomy Theatre and Museum
Strand Campus, King's College London
(http://www.kcl.ac.uk/cultural/spaces/anatomy-museum.aspx)

Abstract:

Some critics may have you believe that computer game studies lack
theoretical rigor, that games cannot afford meaningful experiences. I
agree with them, sometimes, but I also believe that a richer
understanding of computer games is possible, and that this understanding
can shed some light on related issues in the wider field of Digital
Humanities.

My main area of research has been designing and evaluating how
contextually appropriate interaction can aid the understanding of
cultures distant in time, space, and in understanding to our own. This
field is sometimes called Virtual Heritage. In Virtual Heritage, tools
of choice are typically virtual reality environments, and the projects
are very large in scale, complexity, and cost, while my projects are
often prototypes and experimental designs. I have many challenges, for
example,  morphing technological constraints into cultural affordances,
and avoiding possible confusion between artistic artifice and historical
accuracy, all the while evaluating intangible concepts in a systematic
way without disturbing the participants' sense of immersion. To help me
judge the success or failure of these projects I have shaped some
working definitions of games, culture, cultural understanding, cultural
inhabitation, and place. However, these concepts and definitions are not
enough. I also have to now tackle the issues of simulated violence,
artificial "other" people, the temptation of entertainment masquerading
as education, and the difficulties inherent in virtually evoking a sense
of ritual.

  My lecture, then, is a discussion into how game-based learning, and
the study of culture, heritage and history, might meaningfully intersect.

  Bio

Dr Erik Champion is Project Leader of the new Digital Humanities Lab
Denmark, led by a consortium of four Danish universities, and he is also
a task head for DARIAH.eu  http://dariah.eu/ . Until 2012 he was an
Associate Professor and the Director of Postgraduate Studies and
Research at the Auckland School of Design, Massey University, where he
taught critical studies, design history, design research methods, and
digital media. An Australian Research Council Scholarship supported his
doctoral thesis on cultural learning in virtual environments, and the
industry partner was Lonely Planet Publications.

His latest publication is the edited collection of chapters for "Game
Mod Design Theory and Criticism" published by ETC Press in 2012, he also
wrote "Playing with the Past", Springer, 2010. He has written a chapter
on virtual heritage and digital history for the upcoming Oxford
University Press Handbook of Virtuality, and he has edited or co-edited
special issues for /Leonardo Online: Creative Data/, /Games & Culture/,
/Techné/, /the International Journal of Architectural Computing (IJAC):
Between Man and Machine/, and /the International Journal of Heritage
Studies: Sense of Place/.

Past keynotes and invited talks have been for /u21: Interfaces - Digital
studies of culture and cultural studies of the digital/, Sweden, 2012;
/ESF:/ /Networked Humanities: Art in the Web/, Italy, 2010; /Virtual
Systems and Multimedia/ /2007, /Australia; /Digital Applications in
Cultural Heritage (DACH) 2007/, Taiwan; /State of Play 2007/, Singapore;
and /Cyberarchaeology 2006,/ Spain.

--
Dr. Stuart Dunn

Email: stuart.dunn at kcl.ac.uk