[Humanist] 26.980 the Rewriting Wikipedia Project

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Apr 21 08:15:41 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:43:43 -0400
        From: Alex Gil <colibri.alex at gmail.com>
        Subject: Rewriting Wikipedia Project

Hi all,

Below is the announcement for a really exciting event being advertised on
several networks for digital humanists. Feel free to pass it on to your own
local networks. We are still searching for translators for some of the
major languages. Send me a line if you want more information.

The original announcement can be found here:
(http://dhpoco.org/2013/03/21/the-global-women-wikipedia-write-in-gwwi/)

----

The Global Women Wikipedia Write-In #GWWI by the Rewriting Wikipedia
Project: April 26, 2013, 1-3pm EST

Wikipedia Meetup Page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/globalwomen

On April 26th, the Rewriting Wikipedia Project will host the Global Women
Wikipedia Write-In #GWWI. This virtual event is designed to encourage
internet users to write entries about women from around the world into
Wikipedia and to improve existing entries on these topics. The Rewriting
Wikipedia Project is now a working group supported by Global
Outlook::Digital Humanities (GO::DH).

Why “global women”? If you’ve ever tried doing a Wikipedia search for
important women theorists around the world, you might be surprised to note
how short the entries are, particularly on their work and their ideas (for
example: Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Gayatri Spivak, bell hooks, Gloria
Anzaldua, Vandana Shiva, and Sara Ahmed). Many important women of color,
such as Oyeronke Oyewumi and Frieda Ekotto, lack entries or stubs in
Wikipedia. Additionally, coverage of international events involving women
is brief or nonexistent (for example: the 1929 Aba Women’s Riots in
Nigeria; Domitila Barrios de Chúngara; and Angkatan Wanita Sedar or “Force
of Awakened Women,” an important feminist group in Malaysian history).

These gaps in Wikipedia’s knowledge base are striking and important,
especially since Wikipedia is now the most commonly referenced encyclopedia
globally. These gaps–particularly the gender gap–have been subject to
study. According to the Wikimedia Wikipedia’s Editor’s Survey of 2011, “If
there is a typical Wikipedia editor, he has a college degree, is
30-years-old, is computer savvy but not necessarily a programmer, doesn’t
actually spend much time playing games, and lives in US or Europe.”

The Global Women Wikipedia Write-In #GWWI will be the first of a series of
events sponsored by the Rewriting Wikipedia Project to address inequalities
in Wikipedia. It builds on the success of the #TooFEW Feminists Engage
Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon in March. We welcome you to join us virtually on
Friday, April 26, 2013 from 1-3PM EST for the Global Women Wikipedia
Write-In #GWWI.

The Rewriting Wikipedia Project aims to encourage new people to become
Wikipedia editors, to provide support for new editors, and to develop best
practices for rewriting Wikipedia. During our Global Women Wikipedia
Write-in #GWWI, we encourage editors to draw on their knowledge and
experience to contribute entries and information on women around the world
to Wikipedia.

How can you participate?

Contribute to the list of Wikipedia entries that we should edit or improve.
Add your ideas to the working list here or in the comments below. You can
find ‘stub’ articles — those that have been marked as needing further
information — by searching various categories.
Sign up for a Wikipedia account (we recommend using a pseudonym).
Watch this video to learn how to edit Wikipedia. Be sure to set aside some
time for this video. It’s an hour long, and we recommend clicking on FLASH
– it tends to play better that way. If you don’t have time to do this, join
the hashtag on Twitter or our designated chatroom to ask questions or share
your experiences.
Review our resources for writing Wikipedia entries that stick and our
useful links.
Don’t want to write? Add images to feminist articles. Here is the image use
policy for Wikipedia.
Track our work and tweet your own using the Twitter hashtag #GWWI.
Join us on Friday, April 26th from 1-3PM EST from your own computer!
Expand the Rewriting Wikipedia Project

Teachers – Do your students need extra credit? Can Rewriting Wikipedia
become a class project?
Students – Are you learning about some really cool people in Race and
Ethnic Studies/Trans*/Queer/Women’s Studies/Postcolonial Studies who don’t
have wiki pages or have pages with incorrect information? You can fix that!
Friends – Do you know other folks who should know about our work? Please
send this link to activists, faculty or others who might be interested in
participating. Everyone is welcome!
Organizations – Do you know organizations  that have information on
different communities, histories, projects that should be added to
Wikipedia?
Too swamped to edit right now but want to contribute? Add your idea to our
list.
Additional Resources from the Rewriting Wikipedia Project

Wikipedia’s conservative knowledge structure
Tips to make entries stick
Useful links on research, learning and teaching Wikipedia, and its biases