[Humanist] 26.968 the 'process turn'?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Apr 16 07:24:44 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 06:17:15 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: the 'process turn'?

My resistance has crumbled. I am now quite independently (not) thinking
in terms of turns. My question concerns the onset of the 'process turn'.

As the older readers of Humanist will remember, Ronald Reagan, when he
was relatively young, worked for General Electric as a promo man,
specifically as the host of the television program General Electric
Theatre from 1954 to 1962. There he made famous the slogan devised by an
(unnamed?) colleague in the advertising department, "Progress is our
most important product". See, for example, his talk at the 1961 sales
meeting of GE, "Frontiers of Progress",
http://www.smecc.org/frontiers_of_progress_-_1961_sales_meeting.htm.

My question is this. Has anyone studied the public and academic
discourses for a turn from talking about products to talking about
processes, esp in its relation to computing? I get the *impression* of
such a turn, and that we are still thus turned, but has anyone actually
studied this?

Thanks.

London; Professor, School of Humanities and Communication Arts,
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/