[Humanist] 26.958 crowdsourcing projects? a summer of code?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 13 09:13:24 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Adam Crymble <adam.crymble at gmail.com>                     (37)
        Subject: Zooniverse call for proposals for crowdsourcing projects

  [2]   From:    James Smith <jgsmith at gmail.com>                            (9)
        Subject: Google Summer of Code - summer opportunity for students

        Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 07:47:34 +0100
        From: Adam Crymble <adam.crymble at gmail.com>

The makers of Galaxy Zoo and Old Weather are looking for the latest project
to crowdsource and they've got money and expertise to take your idea and
make it happen. I've got nothing to do personally with the project but I
thought it'd be of interest to some members of the list. The full CFP is
below. Good luck!

Adam Crymble
PhD Student, Historty & Digital Humanities
King's College London
adam.crymble at gmail.com

http://blog.zooniverse.org/2011/07/07/open-call-for-proposals/

*Brief version : This call for
proposals http://www.citizensciencealliance.org means we’ll be
producing many more cool projects –
click  http://www.citizensciencealliance.org/proposals.html  if you’re a
researcher and would like yours to be one of them. *
  http://blogs.zooniverse.org/files/2009/12/ZooniverseRise.png

Zooniverse

Longer version :

The Zooniverse  http://www.zooniverse.org  was born from the conviction
that the sheer enthusiasm of our original Galaxy
Zoo<http://blog.zooniverse.org/2011/07/07/open-call-for-proposals/www.galaxyzoo.org>volunteers
could make a significant difference in other fields too. A few
years and many projects on, I’m more convinced than ever that that’s true,
and it’s time to step up a gear.

Until now, we’ve typically only been able to develop projects that came
with their own funding for development. We’re grateful for their support,
but I’ve always been worried that we were turning away some really amazing
projects, and putting the Zooniverse out of reach of more junior
researchers who are often on the front line of dealing with the flood of
data threatening to engulf scientists.

Thanks to amazing support from the Alfred P. Sloan
foundation http://www.sloan.org we’re expanding our
team  http://www.zooniverse.org/jobs  and can now support a proper call for
proposals. So if you’re a researcher – in any field – who would benefit
from assistance of tens of thousands of people, it might be easier than you
think. Just click here<http://www.citizensciencealliance.org/proposals.html>
.