[Humanist] 26.950 open evaluation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Apr 7 09:31:41 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:34:03 +0200
        From: Curt Rice <curtrice at me.com>
        Subject: Open evaluation: a new approach to peer review

I'm enjoying the discussion of various aspects of open access publishing. Personally, my interest in this discussion is in part to think about how this paradigm shift creates the opportunity for improving other aspects of the publishing process, e.g. problems with peer review.

I recently read a fascinating article about Open Evaluation, which is a creative reconceptualization of the publishing process. The journal Frontiers in computational neuroscience (a must read for humanists everywhere!) published a special issue with 18 articles, each taking up different aspects of how the publishing process could be better.

It's a fascinating piece of work. I wrote a short summary of the proposals for those who might be interested:

http://curt-rice.com/2012/12/17/open-evaluation-11-sure-steps-and-2-maybes-towards-a-new-approach-to-peer-review/

Curt
Prof. Curt Rice, PhD
, @curtrice, blog
Pro Rector for Research & Development
University of Tromsø       +47 4641 4635
Recent op-eds & interviews