[Humanist] 26.943 events: 3D data preservation; info literacy

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 5 07:35:45 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (28)
        Subject: Preserving 3D Data - Edinburgh 1st May

  [2]   From:    "Conf at isast.co" <Conf at isast.co>                           (35)
        Subject: Call-for-Abstracts/ Papers, Information Literacy in the
                curriculum across Disciplines

        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:05:55 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

> From: William Kilbride <william at DPCONLINE.ORG<mailto:william at DPCONLINE.ORG>>
> Subject: Preserving 3D Data - Edinburgh 1st May
> Date: 3 April 2013 11:49:00 BST

The Digital Preservation Coalition and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland invite you to join them at a workshop to explore the preservation of 3d laser scan data: Edinburgh 1st May 2013

http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/58-3d-laser-scanning?xref=63

Current best practice guidance for the long term preservation of 3D laser scan data, in particular the required metadata is found to be onerous by data creators. This workshop will bring together leading practitioners from the archaeological community, alongside leading data archivists and software suppliers in the UK and Ireland to work towards agreeing a new metadata standard to facilitate preservation. This event will allow for communication between archivists, creators and purveyors of software and hardware for laser scanning, as well as equipment manufacturers.  The aim is to ensure that the export of metadata is much simpler and more convenient for users.

Who should come?
We want to ensure that we bring together knowledgeable and engaged practitioners at this event to inform our ambitions of a new standard. We’d very much like to benefit from your experience in this area and hope that you and your colleagues can make it. This meeting will be of interest to:

  *   Records managers and information officers in organisation that rely on long-lived 3d data gathered in the field
  *   Risk managers, executives and chief information officers in architecture, engineering and heritage management
  *   Collections managers, librarians, curators and archivists in all institutions charged with managing complex research data
  *   Tools developers and policy makers in digital preservation and 3d modelling
  *   Innovators and researchers in field recording and computer visualisation
  *   Vendors and providers of services for 3d modelling, digital preservation and heritage management
  *   Innovators, vendors and commentators on 3d modelling, computer visualisation and digital preservation
  *   Analysts seeking to develop tools and approaches for managing and exploiting complex 3d models

How to register?
This event will be free of charge but numbers will be strictly limited to 30 places and made available on a first-come, first served basis. DPC members will have a period of priority registration: http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/58-3d-laser-scanning?xref=63

--
Dr William Kilbride FSA
Executive Director

@WilliamKilbride
44 (0)141 330 4522
http://www.dpconline.org/
william at dpconline.org<mailto:william at dpconline.org>

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.  Registered Office, Innovation Centre, University Way, York Science Park, Heslington, YORK YO10 5DG Registered in England No: 4492292