[Humanist] 26.942 open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 5 07:33:43 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Marin Dacos <marin.dacos at openedition.org>                (101)
        Subject: Re:  26.938 open access

  [2]   From:    Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon at umontreal.ca>    (279)

        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 09:16:27 +0200
        From: Marin Dacos <marin.dacos at openedition.org>

Dear Holly Shulman,

Thank you for your very interesting answers. I hope I won't bother the list
with my answers. If so, we could continue the discussion off the list. But
I think that this question is crucial for the future of arts, humanities
and social sciences.

The cheapest system is the "green" road, that means that scholars deposit
their articles in dedicated repositories, such as HAL
<http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/> in France. Some universities are
mandating this to all their scholars. Cf. ROARMAP: Registry of Open Access
Repositories Mandatory Archiving Policies. http://roarmap.eprints.org/ This
road is very efficient but I won't develop this part, considering that the
green road is there to move forward, in the direction of "gold" open
access, that means online open access journals.

You are totally correct saying that the publishing skills are very
important and add value. I don't believe in a system where self publishing
would be the common rule. Digital humanities does not mean that everybody
will have to encode their articles in TEI or to provide a layout, install a
CMS and run a web server... Not at all! It would be a mistake. We have to
build digital infrastructures (other call this cyber infrastructure
http://www.acls.org/programs/Default.aspx?id=644 ) and to provide a large
range of features, providing a high level, sophisticated and efficient
digital publication system. To publish an article or a book costs money,
either on paper or digitally. In late 1990's, I thought to digital
publishing would cost less money that paper publishing
<http://ch.revues.org/index48.html>. After 14 years of building a platform
dedicated to digital publishing  http://www.openedition.org , I know that
digital publishing is not less expansive than traditional printing... but
is far more efficient when dealing with the question of audience,
visibility, and usages of the scholarly publications.

Now, let me give more precise informations about freemium, which is, to my
mind, a very interesting solution. The example of the New York Times may
not be a good example, because they have decided to impose a limit in
reading the number of articles during a month. The "perfect" freemium model
should provide a fully featured solution, that means that the "free" should
not be a preview of the content, it should BE the content.

In OpenEdition Freemium  http://www.openedition.org/8873?lang=en , we have
searched to find the good balance between openess of the content and
monetization of... the content. That could lead to an apory or a squaring
the circle. Should we give the consonant for free and display the vowels
only to people who pay? That would be a false open access! So, we have
decided to put the value where it is :

- the content is free, without any limit. That means that articles in HTML
are free. Example : http://cybergeo.revues.org/25760?lang=en

- services are paid. We are providing PDF and Epub formats only to
subscribers, but also unlimited alerts about our contents, sophisticated
usage statistics, hotline for libraries, training sessions and
representation in the user's committee of OpenEdition. We will improve
these premium features in the future.

The objective is to ask to libraries to spend 1 dollar to openness instead
of gated contents. When they spend this dollar, they spend it for
themselves and for the whole humanity, because they pay for open access,
not only for their own interest. Doing so, they invest in a worldwide
digital library that has no name today, but who changes something in
circulation of knowledge. You already know that libraries budgets are
threatened, but stay very high. That means that there is money somewhere
that could be spent with more efficiency. See
http://svpow.com/2012/01/13/the-obscene-profits-of-commercial-scholarly-publishers/

A lot of researchs prove that openess is also good for the authors, because
they are far more cited and read. Most of these studies, to my knowledge,
focus on non HSS disciplines, or only in English speaking publications. I
have some materials showing that in French HSS, when a journals move from
gated access to open access, the visibility is increased by at least 1.28
and can reach 5.47 (means : the average number of articles
accessed/downloaded).

On the opposite, Peter Suber shows that the previous model has dramatic
drawbacks. Just considering the number of journals accessible in libraries
(in 2008) shows that Harvard had access to 98 900 journals and Yale to
"only" 73 900. That means inequality between the richest universities. In
India, the wealthiest library (Indian Institute of Science) had only access
to 10 600 journals. Of course, a lot of universities do not have access to
so many journals. And, of course, all the people outside universities have
NO ACCESS to these journals, except to 8800 journals listed in the DOAJ,
which are totally open. That means the teachers of the public schools (if
US State think that knowledge is expansive and cuts the education budgets,
he should try ignorance, it is far less expansive), the
journalists, historic houses, small museums, young scholars, and everybody
in the world that could be interested in any topic.

We have to find a sustainable solution in order to provide access to the
knowledge to everybody, considering all the variations of sources of
income. If we have in common the objective to find a solution to this
question, we have done half the way. Then, we can work together to invent
the future of scholarly publication. The freemium is the solution I believe
in, but we could find other fair and efficient solutions (you are right
about "pay to say" or APC model, and when you think that APC are
"Orwellian" you are probably right). The future is not written, but
different models will probably emerge, not only one.

Best regards,
Marin Dacos

--
Marin Dacos - http://www.openedition.org
Director - Centre for Open Electronic Publishing

** OpenEdition is now a Facility of
Excellence http://www.openedition.org/10221?lang=en
* *(Equipex) **
** New email : marin.dacos at openedition.org **

CNRS - EHESS - Aix-Marseille Université (AMU) - Université d'Avignon
3, place Victor Hugo, Case n°86, 13331 Marseille Cedex 3 - France
Tél : 04 13 55 03 40 Tél. direct : 04 13 55 03 39 Fax : 04 13 55 03 41
Skype : marin.dacos - Gmail video chat : marin.dacos at gmail.com
Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/marindacos