[Humanist] 26.936 event: sacred text

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 3 07:21:27 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 21:44:40 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Digital Media and Sacred Text

Digital Media and Sacred Text

17 June 2013, 10:00 - 17:00
The Open University Camden Centre, London

This one-day conference will bring together academics interested in the study of digital sacred text from a wide range of religious traditions, including sociologists, ethnographers, media scholars, computer scientists, digital humanists and theologians. We also welcome religious practitioners and publishers engaged in creating digital sacred texts.

Possible topics include:

-         How can digital media affect the relationship between a religious reader and their sacred text?

-         Does digitisation influence the interpretation of a text?

-         Can digitisation impact structures of religious authority?

-         What norms are emerging to guide the use of digital sacred texts, and how are those norms being negotiated?

-         How can digital sacred texts be designed to meet the needs of religious readers?

-         What challenges does the process of digitizing sacred text raise for religious communities?

If you would like to present a paper at this event, please submit an abstract of no more than 300 words by April 15th to Tim Hutchings (tim.hutchings at open.ac.uk).

Thanks to generous funding from the Arts and Humanities Research Council, we are able to offer a small number of bursaries to cover travel expenses for PhD students.

More information at: http://www.mediatingreligion.org/events/digital-media-and-sacred-text