[Humanist] 26.318 brave new world & its institutions

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 07:30:03 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:02:29 -0400
        From: Jeff Ravel <ravel at MIT.EDU>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.314 brave new world & its institutions

Dear Digital Humanists,

	The group may be interested in another perspective on the
interactions of students taking Professor Rabkin's Coursera class:
http://hackeducation.com/2012/08/27/peer-assessment-coursera/.

	We are having an interesting internal debate about MOOCs at MIT.
 The comments of one of our literature professors about teaching
Humanities on an "X" platform (her brief essay is called "HumanitiesX")
can be found here:  http://web.mit.edu/fnl/volume/251/perry.html.  One
of our engineers has also offered some trenchant observations:
http://web.mit.edu/fnl/volume/251/flowers.html.

	It would seem that the merits of MOOCs, as presently constituted
by EdX and other online providers, are far from clear.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeffrey S. Ravel
Professor of History