[Humanist] 26.312 Humanist's scope, and the Internet's

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Sep 17 07:11:10 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                        (21)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.308 Humanist's scope

  [2]   From:    maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>                   (23)

        Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:37:02 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>

If you will glance at Gillian Tett in today's FT, you will see a short
pertinent discussion of Internet's vast problem of mosaics, so to say.  Not
begun to be solved with first algorithms....  I would venture to hope that
the title, DIGITAL HUMANISTS, if not Humanities, would keep the purlieu
more or less loaded properly.  [I had a flash memory writing that of the
passage in TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST in which Dana describes the sailing
ship beached in our own Santa Monica to receive hides flung down from the
bluff where I do my daily perambulation in the   newly made park a mile
long. Those hides were packed into the holds over months and screwed by
winch tighter than tight, thousands.  Then on to S Fran, which was not yet,
but stank in the Bay from Russian whalers rendering oil day and night, and
eventually South South around Cape safely back to Boston.  All for shoe
leather!  Before the rails went West, that was.]

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648

[See http://tinyurl.com/9l4h6xc for the article in question. --WM]