[Humanist] 26.286 computing and modernity

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 8 09:34:52 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:29:06 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.278 computing and modernity

Dear Willard,

I have been somewhat puzzling, maundering over the Berg remark: "implementation
(whether silicon or carbon based) [is] forcing “us” to reconsider whether
there can ever be reading that is not also writing."
And your own question that follows on Berg: "The difference I am trying to
get at is that between changing (present participle) and changed (past
participle). And in his modernity the relationship between the constant
changing, choosing and being imperiled and the events and inventions
often assigned as causes is a complex network of feedback and
feed-forward."

Yours seems to accept the Berg statement, and his I think is not
fundamental in any sense, but I think captive to the Derridarean
[mis]understandings that have made "Critical Theory" a snakepit of swarming
jargon and cliche for several decades in the Anglo-Saxon world that hasn't a
clear grasp of the French mode[s] of *discourse.*

I think Berg has it topsy-turvy.  To say reading is writing is just that,
topsy-turvy.  Writing, from the first, is the tool [or instrumentality, if
you like] in the ME and China, of recording a version of speech.  Earlier
one has to try to decipher or read the earliest cave paintings.  We cannot
hear whether they are records, say, of the hunt, or
imprecations/invocations for the next hunt. The order, from the first is,
then: speech, writing, reading.

I would suppose therefore that the matters of digitization are all to be
subsumed under writing, and writing offers systems and modes of marks to be
read by whoever runs, and whatever silicon-based algorithms "read."

Jascha Kessler

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648