[Humanist] 26.267 standards

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Sep 1 10:08:33 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:27:03 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.263 standards?

Dear Willard,

Fascinating rundown of slippage via metaphor [which I suspect defies
standard measures of real/unreal, fanciful and imaginative [to allude to M
H Abrams' THE MIRROR AND THE LAMP], metre, ell, Troy ounce, etc., to
siliconized mental/verbal work and processes.  I quote you re: "the
critical historical question," and ask it to be considered:  Plato
establishes, in THE REPUBLIC, a bureau of legal/ethical standards [after
banishing the Rhapsodes, those dangerous chanters of epic metaphorical
narrative, uncontrollable per se, and something that underlies Thomas
Mann's late work, DOKTOR FAUSTUS], and names it, the standards-makers,
measurers, archivists, what-you-will, THE GUARDIANS.

All fine and dandy, and let us proceed.  Still, *the critical historical
question *remains: Who shall guard the Guardians?
[I think to suggest an illustration of my case exemplified by the rise and
I think the fall of Martin Heidegger, but this is not the moment today.]

Jascha Kessler

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648