[Humanist] 26.434 public good vs personal data protection

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 07:57:27 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:46:58 +0000
        From: Daniel Allington <daniel.allington at open.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.431 public good vs personal data protection?

Looking at the corpus in question, one is able to limit the search to different sub-corpora. So it seems to me that a possible partial solution might be to have the law applied to individual sub-corpora instead of to the corpus as a whole. First name / last name searches could then be enabled with regard to the Fiction sub-corpus at least, and probably also to at least some of the others.

This would not be a full solution, and would be of no help to someone who wanted to search for concordances of fictional, public, or otherwise non-living people in sub-corpora that include mentions of real, living, private citizens. That is certainly very annoying, although - with hindsight - it looks as if the problem could have been avoided by anonymising references to non-public living persons in the corpus itself, at the time when it was put together. I believe that my employing institution's ethics policy would have required that, for example.

Sympathies!

Daniel